7 Tips to Prepare Your Vehicle for Storage
February 14th, 2023
Storing your vehicle for an extended period of time can be tricky, as it requires a few preventative measures to ensure your vehicle is in the same condition as when you parked it. This guide will cover the necessary steps to prepare your vehicle for storage, including cleaning the interior and exterior, checking fluids, filling the fuel tank, inflating the tires, and disconnecting the battery.
Following these steps will ensure your vehicle is properly prepared for storage and ready to use when the time comes.
1. Decide how long you will need to store your vehicle. Are you in need of short term or long term storage?
2. Clean the interior and exterior of your vehicle. Remove all personal items and vacuum the interior. Clean the windows inside and out, and wax the exterior.
3. Check all fluids and fill them as necessary. Change the oil and filter, and top off the coolant, brake, power steering, and transmission fluids.
4. Fill the fuel tank and add a fuel stabilizer to prevent the fuel from degrading over time.
5. Inflate the tires to the manufacturer’s recommended pressure.
6. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery to prevent it from draining.
7. Cover the vehicle with a breathable car cover and place blocks under the tires to keep them from developing flat spots.
If you're looking for a storage space to store your vehicle, check out our available units to see if we have the right size self storage unit for you!
Self Storage Blog